Sunday, October 11, 2009

Push button starter for bikes.?

What Im trying to do is simplify my bike, its a 2001 Suzuki Marauder 800cc. The bike was given to me by my Dad, so needless to say its very sentimental to me. However Im a huge fan of older bikes, I love the simplicity that comes with them. One thing I am trying to figure out is how to install something like a push button directly to the starter. Ive seen it done, they even have kits for them, but only for American made bikes.





I love kickstarters the best, just plan and simple as you can get right there, but I know I definatly cant do that to my bike. So I want to do the next best thing and thats take out all the crap that it doesnt really need. Just pure and simple, push button tied directly to the starter, no relay or solenoid or fuses and bundles of wire needed for that.





Thats what I want, but I cant figure out how to do it, I figured it would be like what NASCAR does, but I just cant figure out how to do it or what to use. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Push button starter for bikes.?
button start uses a solenoid so you DON'T have 2 10mm wires running up to your right thumb from the battery and the starter motor, AND a big, heavy switch sitting there too. They make for a safer, shorter, heavy wiring run, and you need to learn some practical science. Solenoids aren't cheap, and if your idea worked, they'd use it-but no-one does. Funny about that....
Push button starter for bikes.?
Well, first off, I can tell you, after working on race cars, no race car just has a hotwire running from a switch to the solenoid.





Too dangerous, things can burn out and a fire in a engine bay of a $500,000 car equals bad.





As a minimum, you will need to wire a relay in. Relay boxes are only small, and you can mount it inside the battery box, so its not seen.





Now, remember in doing this, you are taking away the security of the bike, since you will be removing the key (I assume)





So, anyway, you will need a 4pin relay, a start button/switch, about 2m of good quality wire, some connectors, a pair of pliers and a circuit tester.





So, wire the relay up, mount your switch, run the switch wire to the start terminal on the solenoid and off you go.
Reply:I think your best bet would see if some of the newer electric start bikes have a starter that you could interchange.

lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Dierdre © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting